Written by Sequoia Abbott-Saulteaux
Waffle Stitch with Bernat Handicrafter in Red
For my seventh #LearningProject, I decided to give myself a little bit of a break from the intensive fur stitch that goes along with the Llama-No-Drama Pattern. This week I wanted to try out something new and work on some different stitches with dishcloths patterns! I went to Michaels in Regina to see what they had for yarn and found out that most brands have a yarn just for dishcloths! It turns out that most dishcloths are made out of cotton because it is a durable and moisture-wicking fabric. I ended buying two skeins of Bernat Handicrafter Yarn in Red and Warm Brown for the cheap price of $1.99 each. Of course, it only comes with 50-grams of cotton yarn but this is just enough to make a good-sized dishcloth. I also was intrigued by the interesting texture of the Red Heart Scrubby Yarn Prints so I got one skein of Tropical because this 85-gram polyester Yarn was $4.99 each.
Strangely enough, I had a really hard time working with Handicrafter yarn at first until I figured out what the problem was. Since I just finished making Leon the Llama’s head I was still making my stitches way too tight, so relaxing my hand made this yarn a lot easier to work with. The dishcloth that I made was in the Waffle pattern with Red yarn. I got the pattern from Amanda Crochets on YouTube, who did a really good job of explaining the pattern without going through the stitches too fast (which I do find for some other channels on YouTube). I found that as I got more used to the pattern, I relied on the YouTube video less and less, but I still added to my “Liked Videos” in case I ever need the pattern again. I finished the dishcloth in around 2.5-3 hours and according to crochet groups such as Reddit’s r/Crochet won a game of “yarn chicken” by finishing the pattern with juuuust enough yarn left on the skien to sew in the ends.
The second pattern that I tried was Red Heart’s Scrubby which I found on the back of the label on the skein of yarn. This pattern was different from the other patterns that I have tried before since I had to make a magic circle and then build on stitches straight from the middle of the circle to make a round cloth. I ended up really liking this pattern even though I had no resources for it other than the small pattern tag. The end product turned out to be a small circular scrubby that actually seemed quite sturdy and thick. I also really liked the hanging loop and have found it very convenient! This was my first time ever trying a pattern that came with the yarn and I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was and how much I liked it. I was also really happy about this yarn also because I ended up having enough left out from the pattern to make a second one with the same skien!
Overall, I found that dishcloths were a lot more fun to make than I thought they would be. The small space makes it perfect to try out new patterns and stitches, and I’ve heard a good cotton crochet dishcloth can last upwards of ten years. I think that I’ll be keeping both of these patterns around to try again more in the future!